Tuesday 26 November 2013

Card Sorting: A Deeper Look

For those of you who have spoken with us lot at IC Creative before, you will know that I look after the Usability / UX Research side of things. It’s always interesting for me to learn more about the field and I do like to find things out as I go along.

Coming from a very unmathematical / unscientific educational upbringing, my mind does boggle sometimes at the different methods and tools you guys use to elicit statistics and other user data.

Every now and then I’ll come across a really good article which gives me a bit more of an insight into what it is the professionals do on a day to day basis. This article has recently been written by Jessica Miller, Usability Tester at WalkMe in San Francisco, who writes extensively on usability topics.  In it, she discusses the pros and cons of card sorting – the troubles she has found with it, and a useful insight into how you could overcome the complexity and conundrums which can arise from this exercise.

This may be of use to anyone like me who just likes to learn about these things, or anyone out there who comes up against the same issues with reading card sorting data which she does.

She begins: I’ve mentioned usability card sorting in the past, briefly as one of the more popular prototyping and visualising approaches for designing UX. But, I’ve never really talked that deeply about it, and given its popularity, it’s time I remedied that…. read more here!
 
To discuss this or anything UX related, please contact Sam Emmett.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment