Wednesday 7 May 2014

How do you negotiate NDA’s?

On a few occasions recently, I have guided candidates through an interview process only for the issue of an NDA to – well, become an issue.

The Non-Disclosure Agreement – signed by many designers across industries and disciplines – states that work contributing to a design solution cannot be shared or shown until the product becomes public. In some cases due to the sensitive nature of the work, it can never be shown at all.

On some interview occasions, it has been implied that it is mandatory for a candidate to breach an NDA and show work – else to the detriment of their application.

I wonder how you would approach this issue if it happened to you?

Would you rather flick through hard copies of protected work to satiate your potential future-employer, or stick to your guns and keep your work top secret to respect your current employer?

I don’t have a personal opinion on this, as it’s often a very delicate issue to negotiate. I’m not sure if there is a one size fits all right or wrong.

If anyone has been in this situation, or has advice – do let me know. I’m never sure how to advise people in these situations so if anyone can help that would be much appreciated.
 
As always, I would love to hear from you - please email me.

No comments:

Post a Comment