Tuesday 16 September 2014

Apple’s next move

One of the hot topics of the week has been the iPhone and iWatch. I've been an Apple man myself for some time; I swear by my iPhone and use the iPad religiously.

At times like this, I get all excited about the launch and sit there with my cuppa and biscuits waiting for it all unravel, although a lot of it goes over my head until I actually get into the forums!

Something I found quite useful with regards to the Apple iWatch:
http://www.stuff.tv/apple/10-things-you-need-know-about-iwatch/news   

I do find that as soon as the launches are done, all you seem to hear are the negatives..'it doesn't do this.. it doesn't have that..it's too big.. it's too small'.. but within the first 2 months of the release everyone who's anyone seems to have one!!

What is the general consensus among people out there at the moment with the latest releases?

I saw the adverts that were released by some of the competitors ... and the things that were said about the new Apple release being similar to what others have already done.  Is that not a classic Apple move, are people really surprised? Let others have a go, then release something that has a better experience for the user.
 
Most people will agree that Apple products have a great UX.  As an example, my dad is Lord of the Technophobes, but with the simplicity of use that the Apple products have, he's the absolute man in his little group of friends because he's got a few apps that they've never seen!

With the bigger screen, it's not going to fit in the palm of the hand like iPhone's have typically been known for - being able to hold the phone in one hand and swipe with your finger whilst on the go. It does seem to be the time for 'Phablets'.  According to Yahoo's Flurry Unit, Phablets have nearly quadrupled their share of app activity and doubled active users in the last 12 months.

Although there is a buzz around Phablets at the minute, it is a specific type of person who will want one. For the business user, the tech enthusiast and the holiday reader the Phablet is great, but getting one of those in your pocket on a day to day basis for those non business types, social users etc won't really be as appealing..?

What do other industry professionals think about the reaction of the competition? Is Apple slipping? Are competitors trying whatever they can to weather / offset the storm that the Apple brand stirs up at release? Will the bigger screens affect the experience? Will my technophobe father be all at sea with the new wave of products ha!

What comes next..

As always, would love to hear from you - please email me.

No comments:

Post a Comment